Thursday 11 September 2014

Review: Daughters of Arabia by Jean Sasson

Ahh finally a book that grabbed my attention within the first page! From then on I knew that I wouldn't be let down and I was kind of right in some ways. I mostly read the book because I wanted to know how certain events unfolded and it was mostly curiosity regarding life amongst the royals in Saudi Arabia. I had prior knowledge concerning the inequality of genders within an Arab society but to read it from a royals point of view was interesting.  As it was a true account I don't think it would be fair to criticise the fact that it did not have a plot line, nor a climax and the ending was sudden. However, having read numerous other true stories before, I'd say the style of writing wasn't really what engaged me as a reader but more the content. Additionally, I didn't find myself feeling upset, angry, shocked or any other emotions that other readers have felt. It's most likely due to the fact that I'm already aware of how in certain countries men interpret women's status in Islam differently to what is actually correct. Perhaps readers that have only a slight knowledge of Islam and the Arab culture might experience these emotions and find the book more gripping. Nevertheless, it was a good read which I'd recommend to only selected people as oppose to The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul' which I would not recommend at all.

X

No comments:

Post a Comment